Primary Source
Imperialism | Colonial Policy

[P|S|M]

Deutscher Kolonial-Atlas mit Jahrbuch, edited by the German Colonial Society, 1905 - Retrospect on East Asia's Development in 1904
Retrospect on East Asia's Development in 1904

(p.22) The East Asian lease area Kiautschou, which was visited in 1904 by a son of our Kaiser, Prince Adalbert, has continued to develop oustandingly in the past calendas year. An important event was the completion of the Schantung Railroad on June 1st, connecting Tsingtau with Tsi nan fu. The main line is 395 km long, a side line in the Po schan valley 40 km; it has 59 stations. Now 20 locomotives, 107 waggons for passenger transport and 670 waggons for cargo use it. Every week, 12.000 to 15.000 passengers are transported; freight traffic has tripled over last year. It has been observed, that country products such as silk, straw products, glassware and pottery, hitherto transported on country roads (p.23) to the usual ports, now reach Tsingtau by railroad to be shipped from there. It is expected, that new markets will also be opened up to Schantung's agriculture, for 
fruit, vegetables, oil, tobacco and grain, and that in turn the province's population's power to purchase foreign goods will increase. The Schantung trains, on standard gauge of 1.435 m can reach a maximum speed of 60 km per hour. After less than 5 years the Schantung Railway Corporation, established on June 14th 1899 with a capital stock of 54 million Mark, has accomplished its task. The former governor of Schantung province, Tschou fou, was keenly interested in the railroad. In his place, the former treasurer of Schantung, Hu ting kan, was named governor in Tsinanfu. Vice governor is Schang tchai lang, hitherto provincial judge. The former governor's intention to have the last memorandum on Kiautschou translated into the Chinese is seen as an attempt on the Chinese side to better understand the Germans, and to get closer to them. Tschou fou intended to send the memorandum to the trade office, for it to see how the Tsingtau trade grows daily, a fact equally blessing for the peoples of both empires. The report of the German newspaper published in Tsingtau, that the Chinese interest in the German schools is ever-increasing, has to be interpreted the same way; lately a Chinese textbook for German language has been published.
The Schantung Railway Corporation thrives to promote and improve coal mining in the Wei hsien area. At the Fang tse pit a hauling figure of 440 tons daily was achieved; the total hauling figure from January 1st to September 30th 1904 amounts to 84,700 tons. On June 6th drilling of a second pit was begun. In order to better utilize the coal, the establishment of a coal washing facility and a briquette factory are planned.
In the Po schan coalfield in summer 1904 also drilling of a pit was begun, which is expected to haul a bituminous coal of good quality, suited for steamer boilers.
The German Corporation for Mining and Industry was still busy developing the field, with is mainly concerned with tertiary gravel containing gold, and with gold ore.
In 1903 a special statistical table regarding the trade between the German customs area and the Kiautschou protectorate with the free port of Tsingtau has been published for the first time. It shows an extraordinary increase in the German exports to Tsingtau, especially in the areas of unrefined ironwares, machines and railway supplies. Since November 1st 1904 "Tsingtauer Neueste Nachrichten" (Tsingtau newest news) are issued daily, in 
addition to the weekly "Deutsch-asiatische Warte" (German-Asiatic Observer).
In Tsingtau, busy construction goes on. Along the Auguste Viktoria Bay a new villa quarter was erected, where the best parcels have been sold already.
Tsingtau's installations as a seaside spa again have proven to be its main attraction. A large, modern-equipped beach hotel was been constructed, and in addition to last year's visitors many new ones have come. On September 1st the sanatory in the Lau schan mountains, financed by contributions of the German Colonial Society's welfare lottery and by the East Asia Aid Committee, was opened, after it had been christened Mecklenburghaus in honour of the president of the German Colonial Society, Duke Johann Albrecht zu Mecklenburg.
On August 11th, the very day on which General von Trotha attacked the Herero in their positions at the Waterberg in Southwest Africa, Russian warships fleeing Port Arthur searched refuge in Tsingtau. The heavily damaged line-of-battle ship "Casarewitsch" and a number of torpedo boats were disarmed, a cruiser left the port again. At the begin of the year postal service on the Siberian line was interrupted, and all mail had to be directed via the Suez Canal.

Colonial Literature of 1904. (main titles)

Behme, Fr. und M. Krieger, Führer durch Tsingtau und Umgebung. (Guide for Tsingtau and surrounding) Wolfenbuttel 1904. Heckner. 2.50 M.

Denkschrift, betreffend die Entwickelung des Kiautschou-Gebiets in der Zeit vom Oktober 1902 bis Oktober 1903. (Memorandum on the Development of the Tsingtau Area between October 1902 and October 1903), Berlin 1904. Dietrich Reimer (Ernst Vohsen). paperback 3 M.



 


Source: Deutscher Kolonial-Atlas mit Jahrbuch (Atlas German Colonies with Yearbook), edited by the Deutsche Kolonialgesellschaft (German Colonial Society). Berlin 1905, p.22f

GM (digitalisation) and AG (translation) 
posted on the web for psm-data; many thanks to

Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin / Preußischer Kulturbesitz 

Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz

Kartenabteilung

Dokument in deutscher Sprache