Portuguese Conquest of Safi (Morocco), 1508



In 1508 the Portuguese occupied Safi and constructed a fort which still stands. They also reconstructed the Kasbah, the previous one obviously destroyed during the conquest. Safi became the seat of a bishop, the diocese including Azemmour (1513-1542), Mazagan (1514), Agadir (Santa Cruz de Cap de Gue, 1503-1541). In 1541 the Portuguese were expelled by the Saadi rulers of Marrakech..




EXTERNAL
FILES
Article Safi, from arab.net, from Encyclopedia of the Orient
Histoire, from Safi Ville, in French
Enrique el Navegante, from MGS, in Spanish
Safi, from Ibn Khaldun Website, in Spanish
Esteban of Azemmour and His New World Adventures, by Kitty Morse, posted by Saudi Aramco World
DOCUMENTS Image of Safi 1572 (Braun-Hogenberg), from Historic Cities
Les Portugues a Azemmour, by M.J. Elbaz, in French
REFERENCE



This page is part of World History at KMLA
First posted on March 11th 2004, last revised on March 20th 2005

Click here to go Home
Click here to go to Information about KMLA, WHKMLA, the author and webmaster
Click here to go to Statistics