History of the Bukovina as described in Historic Encyclopedias



Meyer 1902





Meyers Konversations-Lexikon 1902-1909, Article : Bukowina (excerpts)
In Roman times the Bukovina formed a part of Dacia. After the Hunnic campaign (375) which expelled the Visigoths, the land east of the Carpathians for centuries remained the residence of nomadic hordes. Only the settlement of the Bukovina by Slavic Ruthenians, but especially by Romanians since the 12th and 13th century were of importance. The latter in the mid of the 14th century founded the Principality of Moldavia, the center of which was located in the Bukovina. The name Bucovina first appears in 1412 in a treaty of King Siegmund of Hungary with King Vladislav of Poland as the protector of Moldavia, and it describes a large forested area between the Hungarian border and the Sereth, while another forested area on the Pruth was called Little Bukovina. Until into the 17th century, Suczawa was the residence of the Hospodars of Moldavia; then it was moved to Jassy. Czernowitz was seat of a starost with the rank of a boyar of Moldavia, both under Turkish suzerainty. In 1769 the Bukovina was conquered by the Russians, in 1774 militarily occupied by Austria, by the convention of May 7th 1775 formally ceded [by the Ottoman Empire]. After, the country was given a separate military administration, which was abolished on November 1st 1786, and Bukovina, as a separate district, was annexed into Galicia. Since 1849 it forms a separate crown land within the Austrian monarchy.
source in German, posted by Zeno




EXTERNAL
LINKS
DOCUMENTS
REFERENCE


This page is part of World History at KMLA
First posted on March 5th 2009

Click here to go Home
Click here to go to Information about KMLA, WHKMLA, the author and webmaster
Click here to go to Statistics