World History at
Term Paper Topics 12th Waves 2009 March
(Due Date April 1st)
(1) Protocol & Comment on February In-Class Debate
(2) Protocol & Comment on March In-Class Debate
(3) Protocol & Comment on April In-Class Debate
(4) Go Lewis Go
The Changing View of Confucius in Chinese History.
From Ancient China to Communist China
(5) Ferrari Heroes and Villains in Japanese Historiography
(6) Irish Guy Heroes and Villains in Indian Historiography
(7) History of Crisis Management in Pre-Modern China
(8) History of Crisis Management in Pre-Independence India
(9) History of Crisis Management in Colonial Asia
(10) Black Hole
Comparative Analysis of Post-Colonial History : Algeria, Vietnam
(11) Flagellant Comparative Analysis of Post-Colonial History : Kenya, India
(12) Informal Empires : British Influence in 19th Century South America
(13) Informal Empires : U.S. Influence in 19th Century South America
(14) LJY Satellite States ? The Eastern Bloc
(15) Page A Satellite State ? South Vietnam
(16) DOD A Satellite State ? North Korea
(17) LJY Communism Monolithic ? Communism in Southeast Asia
(18) Remus Socialism in Post-Independence African History
(19) Romulus Africa during the Cold War
(20) CES A How do you become a villain ? Contemporary views of Mussolini
(21) CES B How do you become a villain ? Contemporary views of Stalin
(22) Shadow How do you become a villain ? Contemporary views of Saddam Hussein
(23) Mafia The Western View of Fidel Castro and Ernesto Che Guevara
(24) Magyar The Changing Western View of Robert Mugabe
(25) Cameriere Military Coups d'Etat in Modern History
(26) Hong Kong Failed States ? Arab Socialist Regimes
(27) Failed States ? Where the Military Regards itself Guarantor of the Constitution
(28) Failed States ? Where Great African Leaders Took Over
(29) The British Informal Empire in the Mediterranean
(30) The British Informal Empire in the Gulf Region
(31) The British Informal Empire in Southeast Asia
(32) Royal Park 19th Century Central America - Informal Empie, but whose ?
(33) A Satellite State ? Portugal
(34) KGB History of Fashion in Communist Countries
(35) Pallas Athene
History of Popular Music in Communist Countries
(36) History of Consumerism in Communist Countries
(37) Knight of the Banana
History of Education in Communist Countries
(38) OYN History of Education in India
(39) CSJ History of Education in the Arab World
(40) HSY History of Education in South America
First claim, by email or verbal, gets the topic; every topic only once.
Many of the topics here are vague. Students can, and are encouraged to, specify topics.
Begin with branstorming : what questions do you want to answer ? What information do you have access to ?
Papers should be divided in several chapters and have a concluding analysis. Papers should contain endnotes and references.
For a number of topics, the usage of articles from the New York Times or Times of London (contemporary views) is recommended.
December 26th 2008