World History at
TA Comparative History of France and Germany
This will cover the history of both countries from their origins to the present day.
School emphasizes the Three Step Education policy; in this course we will implement such a policy.
The teacher will provide either an introduction or present material suitable for the introduction of a
general topic; students will prepare presentations on more specific topics, and these presentations
will be followed by class discussion.
History of the French and German Languages
Historiography : Official Histories
(1) The Ancestors of the French (should cover time until 900 A.D.)
(2) The Ancestors of the Germans (should cover time until 900 A.D.)
(3) How French was/is France
(4) How German was the Holy Roman Empire
(5) Was Charlemagne French or German ?
(6) Outstanding Persons in the History of France
(7) Outstanding Persons in the History of Germany
(8) Formative Periods in the History of France
(9) Formative Periods in the History of Germany
(10) History of the Franco-German Border
(11) How France influenced Germany
(12) How Germany influenced France
(13) France and Germany in the High Middle Ages 888-1250 A.D.
(14) France and Germany in the Late Middle Ages 1250-1500 A.D.
(15) Era of Reformation and Religious Conflict 1517-1648
(16) Era of Absolutism 1661-1788
(16a) The Role of the Military in European History 1668-1815
(17) The Emergence of Nationalism in France and Germany
(18) The "Natural Borders" of France
(19) LJH The "Legitimate Superiority of France"
(20) The Industrial Revolution in France and Germany
(21) French Centralism and German Polycentrism
(22) Militarism in France and Prussia/Germany 1815-1914
(23) Philosophy in France and in Germany, 18th and 19th Century
(24) France and Germany as Colonial Powers : Rivals or Partners ?
(25) France and the Process of German Unification 1803-1871
(26) The Problem of Germany's Borders (19th Century)
(27) Napoleon - Hero or Villain ?
(28) France in German Literature
(29) Germany in French Literature
(30) WW I as perceived by the French and Germans
(31) France and Germany during the Weimar Years
(32) France and Nazi Germany 1933-1940
(33) France 1940-1944
(34) Germany Partitioned Again 1945-1989
(35) France in Crisis 1945-1959
(36) The Franco-German Axis and European Integration
(37) Communism in France and Germany
(38) French as an International Language
(39) The Identity of the Alsace
(40) The Identity of the Saarland
As I expect only a small group of students to attend, participants need to give 2 presentations during the
semester. Handing in one of these as a paper is recommended, but not required.
Every presentation topic only once; first email gets the topic.
Dec. 18th 2010