World History at
Term Paper Topics 15th Waves 2010 March
(Due Date June. 1st)
We are going to study Medieval History - one specific area of history.
Every student, at the beginning of the course, will choose a specific topic. We will then examine sources which describe or attempt to describe
the working environment. The goal is for students to (1) learn how to take in historical information not as a passive recipient lacking orientation,
but as an active recipient with specific questions in mind, (2) to learn how, using a collection of diverse pieces of information which belong to
different points in time, different geographical areas and social strate, to compile a cohesive paper describing the development from the
emd of Antiquity to the Ranaissance, (3) how to systematically look for sources which help them fill gaps in their collection of sources.
Requirements : students will give two presentations, one in April on their topic, one in May on another students' topic, and to hand in a paper
on their topic in June.
(1) KSY Knights, Lifestyle of Knights
(2) KDY Cities, Administration of Cities
(3) KHW Serfs, Lifestyle of Serfs
(4) YSH Merchants, Lifestyle of Merchants
(5) KHR Guilds, Lifestyle of Craftsmen
(6) PSW Administration of Justice
(7) NKH Ladies, Lifestyle of Ladies
(8) MDH Travelling in the Middle Ages : Cinematic Portrayal and Historic Reality
(9) NSA Monasteries (for Monks)
(10) HSH Monasteries (for Nuns)
(11) KKH Food and Dining Culture in the Middle Ages
First claim, by email, gets the topic; every topic only once.
February 17th 2010