World History at
Term Paper Topics 15th Waves 2010 September
This semester students are to write a term paper (40 %) and a Book Report (25 %) of their score.
[remainder : 25 % for quiz scores, 10 % class participation, no term tests.]
For every student, paper topic and book to be dealt with are related.
Book report : Due 1st week in November.
A book report shall contain : (1) introduction of the topic, (2) a brief list of other sources on the topic,
(3) information on the author, (4) a brief synopsis of the work, (5) the isolation of a few major theses (no more than three),
(6) your comment.
Recommended paper length : 5 pages single space.
The paper is to describe the historical context the book is dealing. The objective is to establish sufficient critical distance
from the book commented on before.
List of Books & Topics :
(1) Mussolini, My Autobiography Mussolini's Italy
(2) Djilas, Tito : the Story from Inside Tito's Yugoslavia
Sir Robin the not quite so brave
(3) Walesa, The Struggle and the Triumph Walesa's Poland
(4) Dubcek, Hope Dies Last Dubcek's Czechoslovakia
(5) Stalin, October Revolution The Russian Revolution
(6) Brezhnev, How it Was Reconstruction in Russia
(7) Gorbachev, Perestroika Gorbachev's Russia
(8) de Gaulle, Memoirs of Hope, Renewal and Endeavor De Gaulle's France
(9) MacMillan, Riding the Storm A Critical Analysis
(10) Wilson, Labour Government 1964-1970 Wilson's Britain
(11) Thatcher, The Downing Street Years Thatcher's Britain
(12) Brezhnev, His Life and his Work Brezhnev's Russia
(13) Brandt, My Life in Politics Brandt's FR Germany
(14) Schmidt, Perspectives in Politics Schmidt's FR Germany
(15) Genscher, Rebuilding a House Divided German Unification
(16) Foch, Memoirs Foch's War
(17) Laval, Diary Laval's France
(18) Clemenceau, Grandeur and Misery of Victory Clemenceau's France
(19) Speer, Inside the Third Reich Speer's Germany
(20) Rommel, The Rommel Papers Rommel's War
(21) Hindenburg, Great War Hindenburg's War
Note : all these books are books on history or visions, written by political or military figures.
Once you chose a topic and got it registered, you can borrow the book in question from your teacher.
First claim, by email, gets the topic; every topic only once.
May 25th 2010