World History at
Term Paper Topics 16th Waves 2012 September
Main Theme : Collages of Biographies or Places
Papers are to illustrate a period in history by selecting 8-12 persons or places which they regard representative
for the period they deal with.
Together the chapters shall give a representative and balanced account of the history of the region & period.
Explanation : sometimes, individuals / locations epitomize a historical period/development, contribute to its definition.
Example : Sudan in Transition, 1820-1956 :
Persons : Charles Gordon who, as governor of the Sudan serving the Khedive of Egypt, abolished
slavery in the Sudan, and the Mahdi, who in 1884-1885 led a Sudanese rebellion against the (reformist) Egyptian administration
of the Sudan. In response, Charles Gordon returned to the Sudan to defend Khartoum, the Sudanese capital, which was threatened
by the Sudan. Both died in 1885.
In this example, the two characters represent different views on the policy of modernization. In the collage to be created,
the juxtaposition of persons from different ethnic, religious background, of different political opinion, the juxtaposition of
leaders who affect change/action and of persons who are affected, is to shed light at the era.
Locations : Khartoum, where the conflict culminates; Cairo - capital of Egypt, of which Sudan was a province; London (at that
time Egypt was a British protectorate), Darfur as the home province of the Mahdi etc.
The juxtaposition of locations shall shed a light on the history of the region & era different from the usual narrative.
The reference list shall be divided in at least two sections, one : secondary sources, which may include encyclopedic sources such
as the Wikipedia, the other primary sources.
An example of a book written like a location collage is Anna Reid : Borderland : A Journey through the History of Ukraine, 1985
(library has it).
(1) Isabella III Colonial Rule in India, 1858-1947 : Persons
(2) Sungjin China and the Western World, 1840-1911 : Persons
(3) Samurina High Imperialism in East Africa, 1885-1914 : Persons
(4) Seohee The Caribbean during the Sugar Boom, 1654-1880 : Persons
(5) Mesoamerica and Andean America in the Age of the Conquistadores, 1509-1560 : Persons
(6) Kangaroo Modernizing Russia 1689-1796 : Persons
(7) Hyunchae The Later Roman Empire, 284-476 : Persons
(8) Hye Jin Central Asia in Transition, 1800-1945 : Persons
(9) Nuri South Africa, 1652-1948 : Persons
(10) Indonesia, 1600-1948 : Persons
(11) Central Asia in Transition, 1800-1945 : Persons
(12) Yoo Seung-In Egypt, 1805-1954 : Persons
(13) Chang Hyejin Ottoman Empire, 1798-1924 : Persons
(14) West Africa 1930-1960 : Persons
(15) West Africa 1958-1990 : Persons
(16) Ventris Colonial Rule in India, 1858-1947 : Places
(17) Soho China and the Western World, 1840-1911 : Places
(18) High Imperialism in East Africa, 1885-1914 : Places
(19) Sicilian Sissy The Caribbean during the Sugar Boom, 1654-1880 : Places
(20) Mesoamerica and Andean America in the Age of the Conquistadores, 1509-1560 : Places
(21) Anastasia Modernizing Russia 1689-1796 : Places
(22) Kojak The Later Roman Empire, 284-476 : Places
(23) Central Asia in Transition, 1800-1945 : Places
(24) Elina South Africa, 1652-1948 : Places
(25) Sehee Indonesia, 1600-1948 : Places
(26) Central Asia in Transition, 1800-1945 : Places
(27) Bathroom Soprano Egypt, 1805-1954 : Places
(28) Ottoman Empire, 1798-1924 : Places
(29) West Africa 1930-1960 : Places
(30) Don Carlos West Africa 1958-1990 : Places
other topics of similar scope are acceptable, if agreed to by the teacher.
March 8th 2012