World History at
Term Paper Topics 18th Waves 2013 March
(Due Date June. 1st)
We are going to study Medieval History - one specific area of history.
Every student, at the beginning of the course, will choose a specific topic. We will then examine sources which describe or attempt to describe
the working environment. The goal is for students to (1) learn how to take in historical information not as a passive recipient lacking orientation,
but as an active recipient with specific questions in mind, (2) to learn how, using a collection of diverse pieces of information which belong to
different points in time, different geographical areas and social strate, to compile a cohesive paper describing the development from the
emd of Antiquity to the Renaissance, (3) how to systematically look for sources which help them fill gaps in their collection of sources.
Requirements : students will give two presentations, one in April on their topic, one in May on another students' topic, and to hand in a paper
on their topic in June.
(1) Knights, Lifestyle of Knights
(2) Cities, Administration of Cities
(3) Serfs, Lifestyle of Serfs
(4) Merchants, Lifestyle of Merchants
(5) Guilds, Lifestyle of Craftsmen
(6) Administration of Justice
(7) Ladies, Lifestyle of Ladies
(8) Military Orders (Knights Templar)
(9) Monasteries (for Monks)
(10) Monasteries (for Nuns)
(16) Food and Dining Culture in the Middle Ages
First claim, by email, gets the topic; every topic only once.
November 12th 2012