The North-South Divide and Margaret Thatcher, by Kim, Changhyun, Oct 2005


The Historic Gap between the North and the South


From the 19th century to the early 20th century, the North was wealthier and more populous than the South. North - defined to be Scotland, Northern Ireland, North England, Northwest, Yorkshire & Humberside, and Wales - led the country in industrialization.
The South came to dominate the North during the 1920s and 1930s. In 1923, the Ministry of Labour's four southern divisions - London, the south east, the south west and the Midlands - accounted for 46.6 percent of the insured working population, and the rest of the country contained 53.4 percent. By 1938, the relative positions of the North and the South had reversed, with the South accounting for 53.9 percent and the North containing the 46.1 percent. The South grew because it attracted new consumer based industries.
During the World War II (1939 - 1945), the relative decline of the North came to a halt. There was heavy demand for war materials, which promoted manufacturing, the North's principal industry. However, the North did not over take the South, and the gap remained much the same.

Kim, Changhyun
December 2005





EXTERNAL
FILES
I used the following sources in addition to the sources I used for Thatcherism

North-South Divide in the United Kingdom, from Wikipedia
Economic Geography of the United Kingdom, from Wikipedia
REFERENCE The following books were used in addition to the books I used for Thatcherism

Smith, North and South: Britain's Economic Social and Political Divide, Penguin Books, 1994, 375 pages
Harrison and Hart, Spatial Policy in a Divided Nation, Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 1993, 304 pages
Cairncross, The British Economy Since 1945, Blackwell Publishers, 1994, 338 pages