Colonial Policy|| |
Kolonial-Atlas mit Jahrbuch, edited by the German Colonial Society, 1905 - East Asia
Occupation : The territory of Kiautschou, located in the Chinese province of Schantung, was occupied by German forces under the command of Vice Admiral von Diederichs on November 14th 1897. After a treaty with the Chinese government, signed March 6th 1898, ceded all claims the Chinese government had within the area for a lease over 99 years, it had been proclaimed, by Imperial edict, a German protectorate.
Location and Size : The protectorate includes the entire water body of Kiautschou Bay up to the high water mark, furthermore the northern and southern promontory at it's inlet up to suitable ridges (46,6 respectively
461,5 square km), as well as the islands located within the bay and in the sea off the bay (43,6 square km). The total land area amounts to 551,7 square km (roughyly the size of Hamburg). In addition a zone has been
established within which the Chinese government cannot implement any reform without German approval; the border of this line is 50 km distant from the protectorate; this zone covers roughly 1/2 the Kingdom of Saxony. Main place is Tsingtau (seat of the Imperial governor).
Morphology and Hydrology : On the northern promontory the Lan-Schan, up to 1,130 m high. Almost the entire peninsula of Schantung is covered by a 600 km long mountain range; it is separated from China's other mountain chains by a large plain, and by another plain connecting Kiautschou Bay with the Gulf of Chili it is separated in two. The protectorate lacks navigable rivers. The hinterland borders on the Hwangho.
Population : according to a census undertaken in the city area of Tsingtau 27,622 Chinese and 962 Europeans, military personnel disregarded. To these, 152 Japanese have to be added. The population of the rural district is
estimated at 100,000, that of the 50 km zone is unknown.
Trade and Transportation : a large port with piers. Swimming dock and shipyards under construction.
The Schantung Railway, starting in Tsingtau, leads to the Schantung Mining Company's coal fields near Wei-hsien and Po-schan and further to Tsinan-fu (435 km). The first train arrived at Tsinan=fu on February 23rd 1904; the
entire line including branch line in the Po-schan valley began regular operation on June 1st 1904. The exploitation of the coal field at Wei-hsien was begun on October 1st 1902. The first coal train arrived at Tsingtau on
October 30th 1902. Since, exploitation proceeds through the pit Fang-tse. For the preocessing of the
coal, a mechanical separation apparatus has been established. Next to a drilling hole drilled about 1300 m to the north of Fang-tse, a second pit for voluminous hauling of coal is planned; drilling has begin in summer
1904. In the Po-schan coal field, works to open up the field and to acquire a favorable spot to erect pit facilities are continued. The activities of the German Corporation for Mining and Industry hitherto focussed on mine exploration in various regions of the hinterland for the purpose of gold and mica mining. - Iron, too, is found in the hinterland of Kiautschou. - The latter provides, for export to Europe, especially straw products and silk pongees.
The trade statistics figures largely refer to transfer goods. Over four fifth of the imports are transported into the interior, by the railway. The colony is a free port area. Total export from October 1st 1903 to October 1st 1904 about 14.7 million Mark. Total import of goods not of Chinese origin (without railroad and mine construction material) 1903/04 about 24 million Mark, total import of goods not of Chinese origin : 11 million Mark.
Climate : health conditions are so favourable that Tsingtau is preferred as a seaside spa (Auguste-Viktoria-Bucht) and is revered because of the beautiful landscape (Lau schan, Pearl
Mountains). The administration of the Kiautschou protectorate is placed under the "Reichs-Marine-Amt".
Garrison : 63 officers and medical doctors, 1816 NCOs and troops, 62 Chinese (police) troops.
Source: Deutscher Kolonial-Atlas mit Jahrbuch (Atlas German Colonies
with Yearbook), edited by the Deutsche Kolonialgesellschaft (German
Colonial Society). Berlin 1905, p.21f|
(digitalisation) and AG
posted on the web for psm-data;
many thanks to
zu Berlin / Preußischer Kulturbesitz
Dokument in deutscher